Student Work Permits

Work Permits are required for anyone under the age of sixteen (except minors employed in planting, cultivating or harvesting of field crops or other nonhazardous agricultural employment). The employer cannot allow the minor to perform any work until a permit has been received and approved by the Bureau of Labor Standards. In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:

  1. enrolled in school;
  2. not habitually truant or under suspension;
  3. passing a majority of courses during the current grading period;
  4. offered a job;
  5. supplying a copy of birth certificate and social security card when applying for permit; and
  6. accompanied by parent/guardian to sign form.

After being offered a job, the minor takes a birth record and Social Security card to the Principal's Office or the MSAD #6 Administrative Office. A parent or guardian must accompany the student or provide a signed note giving the student permission to work. The mailing address of the employer must be provided. The paperwork is sent to the Bureau of Labor Standards for stamped approval. The permit will be sent to the employer. It takes about a week to receive the approved Work Permit, and the student cannot perform any work until the permit has been approved by the Bureau of Labor Standards.

Related Links

Maine Department of Labor: Maine Laws Governing the Employment of Minors

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.